Around the clock access to the top of the line, high powered ultrasonic dental equipment that your pet needs
Here at Westlakes Vet Hospital we believe in giving your best friend the best care there is available.
This is why we dedicate ourselves to keeping up with new and exciting technology and invested in a top of the line ultrasonic dental unit!
With this unit we can seamlessly switch from a routine scale and polish to more advanced procedures like removing cracked or rotten teeth and cleansing the area with antibacterial mist and spray.
Thanks to our machine, each and every piece of equipment which enters your beloved pet's mouth can be 100% sterilised with the use of our autoclave, this ensures that no nasty infections can be passed from pet to pet and completely eradicates the risk of spreading fatal diseases such as Feline AIDS.
Our dental unit here at Westlakes Vet Hospital is a complete dental unit, which means less time for your pet under general anaesthetic and a quicker, safer recovery!
Westlakes Vet Hospital's dental unit has several purpose built, completely seperate handpieces:
- A 3-way autoclaveable syringe which has seperate heads for water, mist and air. This piece can be used with a spearmint antibacterial mouth wash or distilled water. We use this handpiece in the beginning of every dental procedure to rinse the mouth and to flush out any debris, the water also helps to keep the bacteria on unhealthy teeth to spreading to other, healthier teeth within the mouth.
- An ultrasonic hand scaler, this is used to remove all plaque and tartar from every side of each and every tooth in the mouth (no stone left unturned!). Our ultrasonic scaler pulses with either distilled water or spearmint antibacterial mouth wash to aid in the cleaning and removal of plaque and tartar, as with all pieces of our unit this piece is autoclaved after each use, thus completely sterilising it and removing all harmful bacteria.
- A high speed drill piece is then used for the fast sectioning of unsalvagable teeth and bone, this makes it easier to remove toxic pieces of tooth and gum which could be causing your pet serious harm. Our drill has a bright light to help with accuracy and sprays spearmint antibacterial mouth wash or distilled water to prevent the teeth from becoming hot and injuring your pet.
- Last but not least a low speed motor handpiece which is used to polish the now sparkling clean teeth in your pets mouth! Polishing the teeth after the procedure makes it harder for plaque and tartar to stick to the teeth. Polishing pieces are disposable and are never used more than once. The polishing handpiece oscillates instead of spinning therefore preventing hairs from around your pets mouth to become caught.
All pets who undergo dental procedures at Westlakes Vet Hospital, no matter how big or how small, are given specific pain relief according to their circumstances. Each and every pet recieves tailor made care when they come to Westlakes Vet Hospital, and they all leave with sparkling clean, minty grins!
Dental disease is a huge killer in the animal world and over 80% of dogs over the age of 3 have some form of dental disease!
If your pet is showing any of these symptoms:
- Brown or yellow discolouration on the teeth
- Red or inflammed gums
- Bleeding gums
- Soreness in the mouth
- Smelly breath
- Chewing with only one side of their mouth
- Loss of adult teeth
- Irregular eating habits
- Gingerly picking at their food when this is not usually the case
- Sudden aggression or fear when you or a family member comes near their mouth
It may be time to book in for a FREE dental health check!
Surgical procedures are not the only way to keep your pet's mouth clean and healthy, here at Westlakes Vet Hospital we have a wide range of dental preventative care and if you have a specific product in mind we will happily order it in, just for you!
Come in or call any time to learn more about dental disease and how this silent killer can affect your family.
(02) 4959 5766