Heidi has been with Westlakes Vet since early 2009.
Heidi runs our Wednesday night Puppy Preschool classes and has been teaching the puppies of the Lake Macquarie region for over 4 years now.
Heidi is known for her caring nature with every patient that walks through our doors. She often opens her home and gives up weekends to ensure that injured wildlife are properly looked after and loved.
She has an eccentric collection of animals that share her home with Heidi and her son:
- Sheldon, a beautiful Staffy cross. Sheldon’s DNA was analysed and it turns out that he has French Bulldog genes!
- Jordan & Mia the cats. Jordan was rescued by Nurse Heidi when he was very young and found in a nearby field and Mia was part of a litter that Nurse Heidi hand raised.
- Caesar, the three legged bulldog! Some of you may have already met Caesar, he’s hard to forget! After being hit by a car Nurse Heidi adopted him and nursed him through his recovery and the loss of his leg. It certainly doesn’t slow him down one bit!
Heidi has a vast knowledge and in her time as our Head Nurse has ensured she stays up to date with her education by enrolling in multiple courses and seminars!
Jenn has been with our team since early 2011.
She has a keen interest in the conservation and spent a month volunteering on a conservation reserve in South Africa in 2013.
Jenn is our social media guru and runs our Facebook page as well as our Instagram page with over 3000 followers!
If you’ve got a cute pet who likes having their photo taken let her know next time you’re in and she’ll get them featured! Jenn runs our Monday Puppy Preschool classes and also is continuously furthering her education by enrolling in online and face to face webinars, seminars and courses.
Jenn has three cats, a dog and a pet rat:
- Dave who many of you may have already met, a senior Golden Retriever who is the kindest soul! Dave has been with Jenn’s family for over 12 years and is truly one of the pack. Dave, who also goes by Nurse Dave, is often here helping out and eating any treats that happen to go his way.
- Claire, Nate and Fern the two domestic short hairs and the British Shorthair! What a crazy bunch. Claire is a lone wolf and likes to do her own thing while Nate is all about the food and the love and Fern is all about the Nate!
- Pip the rat, Pip is one of many rats over the years and just recently lost her partner so is living the single life at the moment. She is very people orientated and if she can reach, will steal any food you’ve got too close.
Makenzie has been with our team since 2013.
Makenzie brings a positive and bright attitude to our team and fits in well. She is great with cats and dogs alike and has proven her skills with newborn animals by assisting with caesarians and even hand raising newborn kittens!
The amount of love she shows to these helpless animals tells us that Makenzie is a great vet nurse and always provides the utmost care and nurturing for our patients.
By enrolling in continuing education courses, Makenzie has furthered her knowledge and continues to do so. Makenzie has two cats and a dog at home.
- Eddie the staffy who you will hear before you see. Eddie is a very friendly, tank-like dog who will kill you with kisses! He loves other dogs and people and is a real talker!
- Molly-Sue & Watson the cats who keep Makenzie company! The cats are lazy and love to bake in the sun.
Joel joined our team last year as part of his Certificate IV Veterinary Nursing course at Hunter TAFE. He quickly impressed us
with his willingness to get stuck in and learn and he's great with animals and people alike.
We are excited to welcome Joel to the team in 2016 and we're sure you'll all love him as much as we do!